Starring artist: KLARA HOBZA
Videographer: KEVIN GARZ
CONTOURING A MIND is a short video series, portraying artists from all generations. The intention of these short films is to capture the artist's personality, character, his/her thinking and spirit.
In a collaboration with young videographers, film students, other artists and writers, we develop a script based on five questions, which each artist being portrayed is answering in no specific order.
1. Was there a specific situation, person, place or thought, which triggered your decision to become an artist?
2. What is a topic very dear to your heart and how is it reflected in your work?
3. Which, if any, of the most urgent problems of our world today (for example: climate changes, wars, immigrants, plastic pollution, etc.) do you address in your art, and if why?
4. Do you have a (daily) ritual to get in to a creative mindset?
5. As an artist, what are you dreaming of, what are your deepest wishes?
Through the film, the relationship between artist and motion designer/filmmaker is build and defines the notion of the film.
© Nora Novak
Klara Hobza was born in Plzeň/Pilsen, Czech Republic in 1975 and studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich, at Columbia University, New York, and at the Rogue Film School, Los Angeles. She now lives and works in Berlin.
Pursuing impossible aims to follow her interest in science, fiction and fantasy, she uses what she encounters along the way as conceptual material, which she then translates into various media such as video, sculpture, drawing, and lecture spectacles.
In her work one can experience wonderfully comedic moments, as in the video piece Paper Airplanes (2004), where we watch a determined Hobza run down a long pier toward the Atlantic Ocean in the middle of a winter storm, absolutely believing in the possibility of successfully throwing a paper airplane around the world.
© Nora Novak
Kevin Garz was born in 1994 in Berlin and just graduated with his Bachelor of Arts in motion design from the Berlin Technical Art College. While he works as a motion designer in a film production company, he enjoys working on small, unusual film projects in his free time and keeps feeding his passion for motorbikes, feeding his YouTube Channel „Freedom Chasers“.